Who is Hannah Gaebel?

I was born in Vancouver, Washington and raised in the small town of Yacolt, Washington. I moved to Kelso, Washington when I was eight years old. I then attended Carrolls Elementary, a very small school that only contains one class per grade, and later moved on to Coweeman Middle School, Kelso High School and now Lower Columbia Community College. My Mother and Father separated when I was eleven years old and now have both remarried. I primarily live with my Mother, her husband and his daughter, my step sister. I have two older sisters by blood, one is twenty-six years old and the other being nineteen years old. My eldest sister is a single mother to my five year old niece and lives in Woodland, Washington, while my other sister lives in Pullman, Washington attending Washington State University. All adding together I believe I have the craziest, strongest and most loving family a person could possibly have.

Growing up my Mother told me, “family always comes first”, and since then that has had a drastic impact on who I am today. I am almost constantly with family and if not, I am with friends. My hobbies range anywhere from playing softball, camping, snowmobiling, riding quads or hiking, to just a simple night in. Much like my hobbies, my taste in music is also all over the place. For example, I enjoy country, hip hop/rap, pop and sometimes even reggae. Movie genres on the other hand, I am a total sucker for romantic comedies, plain and simple. Some of the favorites being, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before”, “Love Simon” and “The Notebook”. On the topic of favorites, I relish in History and Math, I occasionally have difficulty thinking outside the box hence why I enjoy problem solving and reading from the book. The irony that I enjoy reading from History books, but not novels is immense. Ever since a young age I would not voluntarily pick up a book for leisurely fun. When required to read books in class I find that on multiple occasions I have enjoyed the selected books. Some being “An Abundance of Katherines” by John Green and “The Outsiders” by S.E. Hinton. The most important and easiest topic, in my opinion, is who inspires me. My Mother has been my idol for as long as I can remember, she has been a mother for more than half of her life and has done the best possible job. I hope that one day I will become half the woman, mother, wife and friend that she is. Of course I am a little bit bias.

As far as short terms goals go, I will hold myself accountable to following through with graduating from Lower Columbia College with a general transfer degree within two years. In order to do so I will strive to learn how to be a college student and balance work and school. I have always set high goals for myself, one that I recently accomplished was graduating from high school in the top five percent of my class, I expect myself to complete what could be the equivalent to this in this next journey.   

Lastly, my long term goals. In four years I see myself graduating from Clark College with a bachelor's degree majoring in Dental Hygiene, living on my own and working at the daycare I am currently still employed at. In five years I aspire to be employed at a private dental practice, preferably one that specializes in pediatrics. Overall my top priority is and will be to see the world, I love traveling and I will not settle for only seeing the things that could fit into a busy schedule of working a full time job.

To wrap up this memoir, this is all that makes up what is Hannah Gaebel.

Comments